Last updated: June 17, 2021
The Just Trust (“The Just,” “we,” “us”) is a fiscally sponsored grantmaking organization dedicated to dramatically shrinking the overall footprint of America’s criminal legal system—from the number of people incarcerated to the more invisible and harmful ways it holds individuals, families, communities and entire generations back from opportunity.
If you have any questions, please email us at info@TheJustTrust.org.
2. Information We Collect About You
When you visit the Website, we collect the following information (collectively, “Website Visitor Information”):
We collect certain information from you when you provide it to us directly. Specifically:
- Email List Sign-up. When you subscribe to our email updates, you provide us with your first name, last name, and email address.
- User Support. If you email us with a support request or comments, you may provide us with information so that we can respond, such as your contact information and a description of the issue.
From Your Browser or Device
Whenever you use any online service, certain information gets created and logged automatically; the same is true when you visit our Website. Here’s what we collect:
- Log. When you visit our Website (whether on your computer or on a mobile device), we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP addresses, the Internet Service Provider, referring/exit pages, date/time stamps, clickstream data, login/logout times, and duration of time spent on our Website
- Device. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using to access the Website; this includes the type of device, browser type, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data that helps us understand when something goes wrong.
3. Use of Your Data
The Just does not sell, rent or lease your personal data to others. We use your data for the following business purposes only:
Website Visitor Information
We use the data we collect about visitors to our Website as follows:
- To provide and maintain the Website. We use the information we collect to provide or serve our Website, and maintain and improve the Website, including understanding the content that our visitors find valuable.
- To provide information you’ve requested. We will inform you—via the email address you provide us—of updates related to The Just.
- To communicate with you. We may also use your information to directly communicate with you about your use of the Website or to respond to an email or submission from you.
Other Service Information
We use information from Other Services to understand the particular materials that we posted or linked to that users of those Other Services found most valuable and to inform our efforts to spread the word about our work.
Our Website does not include advertisements for third-party goods and services. However, we may use advertising to help spread the word about our work and the programs we support. Subject to your settings, we may use your email address or cookies to direct ads for our own work and programs we support to you on third-party sites.
4. Sharing Your Data
Except in the instances listed below, we will not disclose your personal information to others unless you consent to it, nor will we ever sell your personal information to advertisers or other third parties. We do share your information in the following ways:
Third-Party Service Providers
The Just works with vendors, service providers, and other partners that help us provide the Website by providing services on our behalf. These services are, for example, sending our email updates, website analytics, database management services, database hosting, providing customer support software, and security. In the course of providing these services, our service providers may have access to your information, including personal information.
Legal and Safety Reasons
We may disclose information if we believe in good faith that it’s necessary (a) in connection with any legal investigation; (b) to comply with relevant laws or to respond to subpoenas or warrants served on us; (c) to protect or defend our rights or property or users of our Services or others; and/or (d) to investigate or assist in preventing any violation of the law.
Reorganization, Sale, or Merger
5. Choices and Rights Over Your Personal Data
Rights: You have the following rights with respect to the personal data we have about you:
- Delete data. You can ask us to erase or delete all or some of your personal data.
- Change or correct personal data. You can also ask us to change, update or fix your data in certain cases, particularly if it’s inaccurate.
- Object to, limit, or restrict use of personal data. You can ask us to stop using all or some of your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or to limit our use of it (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held).
- Right to access and/or take your personal data. You can ask us for a copy of your personal data in machine-readable form.
- The right not to be discriminated against. The Just will not discriminate against you in any manner for exercising any of the above rights with respect to your personal data.
Contact us at info@TheJustTrust.org if you have questions or would like to exercise any rights you have under applicable law to control your personal data.
You have choices available to you through the device you use to access the Website. For example, your browser may let you control cookies and other types of local data storage. Where we receive information about you from Other Services (as described in Section 2.b above), those Other Services – like social media sites – may offer their own controls around the data you choose to share with us.
6. Retention and Deletion
We will keep your information only for as long as we believe that we need it for the purpose we have collected it (as described above) or to meet legal obligations, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreements with you, or fulfill your request to unsubscribe from further messages from us. When we believe your information is no longer needed, we will destroy or de-identify it.
7. Data Transfer
The Just is based in the United States; when you engage with the Website, you are sending personal data into the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country. We process data both inside and outside of the United States.
8. Our Legal Bases
We will collect, use and share your personal data only where we have a legal right to do so. This section explains our legal bases for processing personal data, including under GDPR.
Consent. We rely on consent to engage in certain data collection activities, like sending you email updates.
Legitimate Interests. We rely on legitimate interests to process the data we collect when you browse our Website. We process this data based on our legitimate interest in understanding how our Website is being used, and your legitimate interest in accessing our Website.
Where we rely on consent, you have the right to revoke your consent. Where we rely on legitimate interests, you have the right to object by emailing us at info@TheJustTrust.org. If you have any questions about the lawful bases on which we collect and use your personal data, please contact us at info@TheJustTrust.org.
9. California Residents
The CCPA gives consumers who are residents of California the right to request the following information about the personal information that a business has collected in the past 12 months:
Information about Data Collection.
- The categories of personal information that have been collected.
- The specific pieces of personal information that have been collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we have collected personal information.
- The business purpose for which we have collected personal information.
Information about Data Disclosure.
- The categories of third parties with whom personal information has been shared.
- The categories of personal information that we have disclosed for a business purpose.
- Information We Collect. We collect the following categories of personal information: (1) identifiers; and (2) internet or other similar network activity.
- Sources of Information. We obtain these categories of personal information directly and indirectly from activity on TheJustTrust.org and from Other Services. This includes, for example, from the sign-up form for our email updates and website usage details collected automatically.
To request any of the above information, email info@TheJustTrust.org. Please include in your request sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify that you are the person about whom we collected personal information. Please note that we do not sell your personal data and that The Just will not discriminate against you in any way based on your exercise of these rights.
10. Other Important Information
Security of Your Information
Security of personal data is important to us. We implement security safeguards designed to protect your personal data, including reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect personal data from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and destruction. Despite these efforts, we cannot guarantee that your data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our physical, technical, or administrative safeguards. Please notify us immediately at info@TheJustTrust.org if you become aware of any security issues relating to our Services.
Your Communications Preferences
The personal information you voluntarily provide for our mailing lists allows us to keep you posted on updates about our organization, such as announcements about programs or events. If you no longer want to be on our mailing lists, you can opt out anytime in the email itself. You may also send an email to info@TheJustTrust.org requesting to unsubscribe.
Do Not Track Signals
The Services are not designed or intended for children under 13. If we become aware that we have the information of such children collected through the Services, we will promptly delete it.